Jason Sudeikis says he is leaving ‘Saturday Night Live’

Jason Sudeikis says he is leaving ‘Saturday Night Live’

Longtime "Saturday Night Live" cast member Jason Sudeikis said he has left the show. Photo: WENN

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Longtime “Saturday Night Live” cast member Jason Sudeikis said on Wednesday he has left the NBC late-night sketch comedy show, joining fellow comedians Bill Hader and Fred Armisen out the door after the show finished its 38th season in May.

Sudeikis, who has worked on the show for 10 years, made the announcement during a taping of CBS late-night talk show “Late Show with David Letterman.”

“Yeah, I’m going to leave. Yeah, I’m not coming back next fall,” Sudeikis said, according to a transcript distributed by CBS before the show airs on Wednesday night.

Sudeikis, 37, who portrayed former Republican U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney on the show last year, is the latest in a recent stream of top talent to depart SNL, which will begin its 39th season in September.

Hader announced his departure in May and Armisen confirmed last month that he had also left the show. Popular mainstays Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg departed in 2012 to focus on film.

Series head writer Seth Meyers, anchor of the show’s “Weekend Update” news segment, will also leave the show after the end of the year to be the new host of Comcast Corp-owned NBC’s late-night talk show in 2014, “Late Night with Seth Meyers.”

Currently, comedian and SNL alum Jimmy Fallon hosts the late-night slot, but he will be taking over from Jay Leno on “The Tonight Show” next year.

Leaving the New York-taped “Saturday Night Live,” whose latest season scored 15 Emmy nominations last week, has been a rite of passage into Hollywood for many of the show’s former stars, including Chevy Chase, Tina Fey and Mike Myers.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment, Sports

Baseball great Willie Mays, 16 others, receive honors from Obama


Yogi Berra, Barbra Streisand, Itzhak Perlman, and among 14 others were given the highest U.S. civilian honor.

in Entertainment

‘Full house’ star John Stamos sentenced to probation in DUI case


Stamos, 52, was also ordered by Los Angeles County Superior Court to complete a three-month alcohol abuse program.

in Entertainment

Brighter, shorter ‘Sesame Street’ coming to HBO


A new Latina character, different sets, shorter episodes, and an updated theme song are coming to "Sesame Street" at its new home on HBO in January.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Harrison Ford, Chewbacca settle feud


With a little help from Jimmy Kimmel and Adele, Harrison Ford and Chewbacca finally set aside their past differences.

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Nov. 25


A look at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.