News

Disney and ‘Pirates’ producer end film deal

Disney and ‘Pirates’ producer end film deal

Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney will end their film deal. Photo: Reuters

By Lisa Richwine

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The Walt Disney Co and Jerry Bruckheimer, the producer behind the blockbuster “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise and the summer flop “The Lone Ranger,” will end their long-running film deal next year, the media company announced on Thursday.

The company and Bruckheimer decided not to renew their current deal which gives Disney first-look rights to the producer’s films, according to a statement from Disney. They will continue working together on various projects, including a fifth installment in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise.

Last week, Disney announced it would delay the release of the fifth “Pirates” movie, which had been scheduled to open in theaters in July 2015. No new date was set.

Disney’s film studio will continue to focus on brands including Disney, Pixar animation, the Marvel superhero franchise, and “Star Wars” producer Lucasfilm, the company said on Thursday.

Bruckheimer “is looking to produce more mature films outside the scope of the Disney brand,” the statement said.

The partnership dating back to the 1990s produced 27 movies, including several big hits for Disney. The four “Pirates” films starring Johnny Depp have generated more than $3.7 billion in worldwide ticket sales, according to the website Box Office Mojo. Bruckheimer also produced for Disney the “National Treasure” series and dramas including “Con Air” and “Pearl Harbor”.

Bruckheimer’s most recent Disney release, “The Lone Ranger,” flopped at the box office after its July release. Disney has projected it will lose up to $190 million on the film.

Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn said Disney and Bruckheimer “have had an incredibly successful collaboration over the past two decades”.

“We will continue to work together in the future, and we look forward to seeing more of the films that have made Jerry Bruckheimer a Hollywood legend,” Horn said.

Bruckheimer, in the statement issued by Disney, said he would work with the studio on the “Pirates” and “National Treasure” films plus “other projects we have developed together”.

“I am very appreciative of the wonderful collaboration and support I have had at The Walt Disney Company for over 20 years,” he said.

Recent Headlines

in Music

CHART TOPPERS: This week’s top country tracks

Fresh
bradpaisley

LISTEN: This week's top country tracks, according to the latest Billboard charts.

in Entertainment

WATCH: 10 best ‘Simpsons’ episodes

Fresh
In this photo released by Fox, Homer explains why he wants to bring back the annual 4th of July fireworks display, after it's cancelled for budget reasons, in the "Yellow Badge of Cowardge" Season Finale episode of "The Simpsons," in May 2014. The full 25-year run of "The Simpsons" will arrive on cable channel FXX with a summer marathon, to be paired this fall with a digital extravaganza that could turn other TV shows yellow with envy. "I'm not going to over-promise, but I think this website will provide you with affordable health care," longtime "Simpsons" executive producer Al Jean told a TV critics' meeting Monday, July 21, 2014.

The recent marathon of all 552 episodes of "The Simpsons" inspired us to sit down and come up with our 10 favorite episodes. Enjoy!

in Entertainment

Lena Dunham and Kate Mara hit by a falling sign

Lena Dunham, of HBO's "Girls," arrives at the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards held at The Nokia Theatre  in Los Angeles.

The "Girls" and "House of Cards" actresses saw stars of their own after an accident at a Venice premiere.

in Entertainment

Charges dropped against Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s suspected drug dealer

In this Jan. 19, 2014 photo, Philip Seymour Hoffman poses for a portrait at The GenArt Quaker Good Energy Lodge during the Sundance Film Festival, in Park City, Utah. Hoffman, who won the Oscar for best actor in 2006 for his portrayal of writer Truman Capote in "Capote," was found dead Sunday, Feb. 2, 2014, in his New York apartment. He was 46.

Drug-selling charges against a friend of late film star Philip Seymour Hoffman have been dropped after officers neglected to read the suspect his Miranda rights.

in Entertainment

Hayao Miyazaki, Harry Belafonte among winners of honorary Oscars

"Ponyo" director Hayao Miyazaki poses for a portrait in Los Angeles on Tuesday, July 28, 2009.

The Academy announces the recipients of this year's Governors Awards. See who made the list!