2 killed in shooting at Virginia naval base

2 killed in shooting at Virginia naval base

FATAL SHOOTING: A sailor and a civilian were fatally shot at a Virginia Navy base. Photo: Associated Press

By Eric M. Johnson

(Reuters) – A civilian shot dead a sailor aboard a ship at a U.S. Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia, late on Monday before being killed by base security forces, naval officials said.

Security services briefly shut down Naval Station Norfolk after the incident involving the two men, which occurred on board the USS Mahan destroyer while it was docked at the base’s Pier 1, Navy spokeswoman Beth Baker said.

The civilian had been carrying a firearm on the base in violation of rules that only allow security personnel to do so, Baker said.

The lockdown lasted approximately 45 minutes, she added. The base, the largest naval station in the world, was secure.

The sailor was an active-duty member and Navy officials were looking into the “access and credentials” of the civilian, who did have authorization to be on the installation, Baker said.

The shooting came months after a gunman opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, some 200 miles north of Norfolk, killing 12 people and wounding four being slain by police.

At the time of Monday’s shooting, Navy personnel were on board the ship and also on the pier. It was unclear who subdued the suspect and in what circumstances.

Officials have launched an investigation to establish a motive for the killing and information about the men involved, Baker said. More information about the incident was not immediately available.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service as well as base security personnel were conducting the investigation.

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; Editing by Gareth Jones)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Dec. 1


A look at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Entertainment

HOLIDAY TV: What to watch this week


This week is packed with programs to get you in the holiday spirit.

in Entertainment

Bono, Clooney, Kardashian part of all-star campaign for AIDS

FILE - In this March 2, 2014 file photo, Bono arrives at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. A New York City doctor says U2 singer Bono suffered multiple fractures and had to have two surgeries after his weekend bicycle accident. Orthopedic trauma surgeon Dr. Dean Lorich says Bono underwent a five-hour surgery on his elbow in which three plates and 18 screws were inserted on Sunday night. Bono had another surgery to repair a fracture to his left pinkie on Monday. Lorich says Bono will need therapy but a full recovery is expected.

Bono is a launching an all-star campaign featuring "once-in-a-lifetime experiences" like walking the red carpet with Meryl Streep or visiting the "Game of Thrones" set.

in Entertainment

WHAT’S ON: New on Netflix, Amazon & Hulu in December


Get your remotes ready for a new round of binge-worthy movies and TV.

in Music

Joey Feek holds out hope of beating cancer


The country singer was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year and she was admitted to a hospice earlier this month to be cared for during her final days.